Tuesday 15 February 2011

Naming the 5th Company

I started my research into the Mantis Warriors on Codex: Lexicanum and did several searches online, first for 'Sartaq', which only returned links to the Sartaq of the Mantis Warriors, then for 'Khoisan Neotera', Chapter Master after Sartaq's death. Neotera returned nothing, but Khoisan returned a result of two South African tribes, the Khoi and the San.

This was before I had managed to find any information from Imperial Armour 10, so I had no knowledge of what the Mantis Warriors might look like, so I decided that they would be dark skinned tribal warriors, the planet Ootheca on which they were based sounded like it could be a great African death world, jungles and snakes and huge insects (the mantis being one which had grown larger than normal, possibly so it could eat snakes and medium sized mammals, humans even?).

A short while later Codex: Lexicanum was updated with details from IA10 (which have now sadly been rolled back, not sure why, possibly copyright issues) which stated that a) the Mantis Warriors were founded from the Marauders chapter, a founding chapter of the White Scars and b) Mantis Warriors had pale skin, dark hair and green eyes.

So my plan for an African tribe was foiled and I started to gather more Mongolian style names, but none of them sounded as good as the South African names I had found.

"Sod It", said I, I want my chaps to have South African names. They sound strong and interesting, it gives them character, and if no warrior in my army is without helm, I can pretend in my mind that they are proud dark skinned warriors, and everyone else can assume they're the Mongolian pretty boys that the book describes.

I gathered names from baby names sites to begin with. Most baby name sites are lazy with uncommon names, but I found one site which had meanings beside each of the few names they had which were of South African provenance.

So I had a list of names and was ready to start planning my first 1000pt army...

No comments:

Post a Comment